Food Rules by Michael Pollan has made the biggest impact in what I eat and how I eat. Whenever I'm asked about healthy eating, this is always my first suggestion. If you're looking to make a change to what you eat, READ THIS BOOK NOW. It couldn't be easier.
Let me back up a bit. About seven years ago, my husband and I were looking to make a change to our diet and become healthier. For seven years, we've taken two steps forward and one step backward. It's been a journey, a labor of love really for health.
People who have known me for awhile know I've always been a fairly skinny girl. Skinny does not equal healthy I found out. Daily, I used to feel like garbage. In 2007, I was sitting at my work desk about 10 AM barely able to keep my eyes open after 9 hours of sleep. I looked down at my cheese and peanut butter packaged crackers and thought, "I'm a healthy eater, why am I so tired?"
About a year later, we finally started to make some changes in our diet. It started slowly and the more we learned, the more implemented. So, here are the basics I follow of eating, and all of these are some adaptation of the information in Food Rules. If you want to just start somewhere, start here. I try to keep it all fairly simple. I have two small kids, which means I currently have no capacity for hard thinking and memorization.
- Eat whole foods (not processed)
- Cook from scratch, not easy at first, but once you get going it becomes so simple
- If you buy processed food, be able to pronounce all of the ingredients
- Not only should you be able to pronounce all of the ingredients, but they should be items you can easily find at the grocery store
- Sugar is not your friend. It says it's your friend, it tells you it loves you. It's lying.
- There are SO many names for sugar, look at sugar content on the nutrition label. Sugar content should only come from fruits or veggies (not fruit juice, not veggie juice, not honey, actual whole fruits and veggies)
- Make a weekly food plan
- Keep snacks on hand
- Don't get hungry or thirsty, if you're hungry or thirsty you've waited too long
- Eat junk food--if you make it yourself from scratch
As we go on, we'll talk about falling off the healthy eating plan, and how to get back at it. These are my general guidelines, but God knows I have not always stuck to them. I try to KISS. KISS with me.